Thursday, September 26, 2013

Easy cous cous salad for breakfast

I love cous cous!! In my last trimester of pregnancy with Josh, I had cous cous salad for breakfast almost every morning. I was having salad for breakfast the last trimester, cos I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I was cursing it initially. But after going on the low-sugar and low-carb diet for 3 months, I gave thanks to it, cos I was never so healthy for my entire life and I was fit and lean, despite heavily pregnant. I lost my pregnancy weight gain within the first week after giving birth, without doing anything, but just pumping (breastmilk).
 
After I gave birth, I stopped the hard-core 'salad-for-breakfast' days, cos I got freed from GD. Hahaa.. But occasionally, I still love having it cos it's such a light and refreshing way to kick-start the day.
 
I had some nice cherry tomatoes and Japanese cucumber lying in the fridge, I thought I should use them up before they get rot. So the night before I quickly washed and chopped up the ingredients and prepped the cous cous for my next-morning breakfast. My cous cous salad is made with whatever I find available in my fridge or kitchen counter. It would be even nicer if I have some cooked chickpeas or black eyed beans in it. But this time, I have some left over coralini pasta left from my son's dinner last night, I just added them in for extra texture.
 
Recipe:
*Half a Japanese cucumber, chopped
*About 6-8 cherry tomatoes, chopped
*2 slices of sun-dried tomato (I used Jamie Oliver's brand) (sun-dried tomato in jar is a staple in my fridge, so versatile for my salad)
*1/2 cup of cous cous (cooked by pouring in about 1.5cups or less of boiling water and let steam for about 10min)
*seasoned with pinch of salt, mushroom seasoning, cracked black pepper and 1/2 tsp of coarse Dijon mustard
 
The next morning, I prepped an omelet (I'm an avid egg lover) and serve it with my cous cous salad. Nice, wholesome and refreshing! Yet, easily done.
 


 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...