Monday, November 25, 2013

Orange chiffon cupcakes

Sunday is my favorite day, cos I don't need to work, and I get to spend the whole day with my lovely boys, the hubby and the lil' fella and most importantly, I get to make whatever I wanna eat!
 
I just prepared a purple color Fisherman's pie for our lunch cum afternoon tea when the lil' fella and the hubby were having a nap (but unfortunately they only took a super short nap, cos the lil' one was not well, coughing and thus couldn't sleep well), but that doesn't deter me from making these cuties in a very short time. I have been wanting to make them since yesterday, suddenly had a craving for chiffon cakes.
 
 
 



Just checking how springy it is...

That's how it is after I released my finger, very springy indeed

Love the texture!!
 
Loved how simple and light these cupcakes were. The only unfortunate part about them is that they rise unevenly. I seem to have the same problem with the Hokkaido cupcakes I baked last time, using the same cupcake holder. I will be trying these out with another liner to just verify if it's the cupcake liner or is it the temperature. However, that doesn't affect the flavor nor texture at all. I personally can eat 2-3 at one go, which is very rare for me, cos I do watch my limits for sugary stuffs, lucky I cut the sugar by a lot! :p
 
Recipe (adapted from here)
My recipe here yields 6 chiffon cupcakes, I halved the original recipe
  • 3/4 cup cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup of sugar (use 1/2 cup if you prefer it sweeter)
  • pinch of baking soda (original recipe called for cream of tartar, I didn't have it, just replaced with pinch of baking soda, or omit it)
  • 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil (original recipe called for butter, I thought chiffon cakes should use oil, not butter, for a lighter texture)
  • zest of 1 orange (orange was blanched in boiling water for half a minute)
  • 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 165deg C.
  2. Whisk egg white, salt and baking soda until a soft peak form. Add half of the sugar and beat until stiff peak forms.
  3. In another bowl, beat egg yolks with remaining of the sugar until pale yellow. Add in oil, orange zest, vanilla extract until combined.
  4. Sieve in 1/3 of the flour (already mixed in the baking powder) into the egg yolk batter, followed by half of the orange juice, then 1/3 of the flour mixture, remaining of the orange juice and then the remaining 1/3 of flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
  5. Then add in the egg white meringue, 1/3 at a time, until just combined.
  6. Evenly distribute the batter among 6 prepared baking/cupcake liner. I baked them at 165deg C in my fan-forced oven (dropped to 155deg C last 5min) for 20min in total.
I think I'm repeating myself here, but I love them so much. I'm eating them, again, as I type this. And I'm making a soya-pandan version today.

Updated later: As a redemption to these unevenly risen cupcakes, I baked another batch of chiffon cupcakes (very good soy-pandan chiffon cupcakes) the next day, using the Hokkaido cupcake liners and they worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...