Monday, November 25, 2013

Very good soy-pandan chiffon cupcake

I had to title it this way. This is really good. Sometimes I think I get biased when typing while eating the cakes fresh out of the oven. Just like what the owner of this recipe said, once you've tasted pandan chiffon warm, you will never want the cold stuffs you always get anymore. I agree! This recipe is tooo good not to be given credit for. But please be warned, this very delicious tasting chiffon cupcake will crack. It will not give you a very good outlook, but it definitely tastes 100times better than its outlook. When you know how good it tastes, you won't be bothered of its look. I already finished eating one when I'm typing this line. But I cannot have a second one, cos I already had two orange chiffon cupcakes (which I baked yesterday) and I was already way over my quota.
 
Now, if you're too, like me, contemplating on whether if you should just try out half of this recipe? Please don't. Do the full recipe. I was contemplating, cos I, again, was trying to limit myself from getting sugar overload, but then I thought, it's alright, I can give some to Aunty Helen, my neighbor, whom the homegrown pandan leaves which I used in this recipe belongs to. The pandan plant was growing at the side of the fence parting our house compound, and it just decided to cross over to our place, and I seriously remembered Aunty Helen mentioned that we can use the pandan plant anytime (which my hubby never recalled) ... hmm.. anyway, when I started tearing off the liner of this cupcake, I knew I made the right decision of baking the full recipe. I don't think I will have extra for Aunty Helen anymore (ooppspss... let's hope she never reads my blog, fingers crossed) ;p

Here's the pandan (screwpine) leaves planted by Aunty Helen
 
 



我很丑。。可是, 我真的很

柔软。。。 Can you imagine how fluffy it is?
Here's the recipe (adapted from here)
This recipe yields 8 cupcakes in those Hokkaido cupcake liners

  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1tbsp molasses castor sugar (which I have blended to a very fine texture using molasses sugar)
  • 50g grapeseed oil
  • 70g green, mature pandan leaves (rinsed thoroughly and drained, then chopped to short sections)
  • 75g fresh soy milk (unsweetened)
**pandan leaves are blitz with the soy milk, and squeezed through the cheesecloth to obtain about 65g green milk (there were more, I kept them for breadmaking the next day)
  • pinch of salt
  • 80g cake flour (I used top flour)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder

  • 4 egg white
  • 4 tbsp. molasses castor sugar
As you can see, I didn't use normal castor sugar, my castor sugar are made from molasses (which was a little too coarse, so I blitz them into fine powder texture). I love cooking and baking with molasses instead of white sugar. Molasses are not that sweet and they are less refined compared to white sugar.

I have adjusted the amount of sugar in this recipe. I find it just right. I don't like anything too sweet.

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 165deg C.
  2. Whisk egg whites with pinch of salt till they form soft peak. Gradually add in 4tbsp of molasses while continuing to whisk. Keep whisking till egg whites just reach stiff peak.
  3. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1tbsp molasses till thick. Add in oil and green milk. Whisk till combined. Sieve in cake flour and baking powder. Whist to combine.
  4. Add egg whites to yolk batter in 3 batches. Fold till just evenly mixed.
  5. Divide the batter between 8 cupcake liner. Tap liner gently against worktop to level batter and get rid of air bubbles.
  6. I baked these at 165deg C in my toaster oven for first 10min. Then turn down the temperature to 155deg C and baked for another 10min. Just like the owner of this recipe mentioned, cakes crack after first 10min.
  7. Let cool and serve.
Note: My pandan chiffon isn't green in color, cos first, I used homemade pandan paste (not the artificial flavoring with coloring), secondly, I used molasses sugar in replacement of white castor sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...