Thursday, November 7, 2013

Oat and quinoa pumpkin porridge with fish

The name of this dish.. quite a mouthful.. Hahaa.. but it is just like its name, packed with lots of good nutrients, such a nutritious meal for a little tummy. I am always very glad that my little fella (just turned one 2 weeks ago) is a food 'connoisseur' at his age. He takes pleasure in finishing all his meal. Let's keep his fingers crossed he will continue to love his mom's home-cooked food.
 

Packed and go. The lil' fella's lunch.
 
 
I'm organizing a cooking class for mommies with babies/kids this coming Saturday at Just Health, one of the dish that I'm gonna demo on is this quinoa porridge with fish. I tried the first one in a 'risotto' style, it was a lot drier. The people here may not be familiar with risotto, so I may not want to introduce too many new things at one time, quinoa .. nutritional yeast .. are already something unheard, doubt many will know of risotto. So I'll just stick with porridge this time. I'm sure everyone knows porridge or congee.
 
I have always been a huge advocate of quinoa. It's just a small tiny seeds / grains (it's actually a seed) but it is soooo nutritious! It's gluten free and is a source of complete protein. Most importantly, it's easily digestible making it a SUPERFOOD for the little tummy. I love quinoa, because of its protein rich property, but unlike meat, it is free from cholesterol, so we can eat lots of it and not need to worry about its cholesterol or getting gout. I am also in love with it for its high calcium content. I suffer from lactose intolerance. I take no milk. None at all throughout my pregnancy. I just relied on these wholegrains, eg brown rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth (another calcium-packed grain) for their calcium and iron source.
 
The lil' fella has been eating lots of these wholegrain since young. His taste bud has kinda adapted to a wide variety of texture and flavor which I realized would make things easy. I can explore with a lot of ingredients, and he can be my lab rat!
 
So here's my humble recipe:
  • 3tbsp of quinoa (soaked for abt 2-4hours prior to cooking)
  • 3tbsp of oat
  • about 200g pumpkin, cut into cubes
  • about 1-2 cups of water
  • 1 white fish fillet (I used threadfin)  
  • served with organic toasted sesame oil and nutritional yeast flakes (no salt added to his food yet) 
Instructions:
Put everything into a slow cooker and cook for about 3-5hours. When everything is soft and creamy, add in fish fillet and let cook for another 15min. Serve with organic toasted sesame oil and nutritional yeast flakes.
 
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Vivian of Vivian Pang's Kitchen.
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer! This is definitely a more delicious way of eating oats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds you incorporate as much as wholegrains into your family meals. Your lillte one must be happy to have your meals. I used to add 1-2 tablespoons of millet into our daily consume rice. One day shall try on quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,
    I heard of quinoa but never try cooking with it.
    Thanks for sharing so much of its goodness.

    This porridge is packed with goodness, will try cook some for my youngest.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen, enjoy reading your all your posts and learning to cook and eat healthily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer is it yeast flakes is same as organic brewer yeast flakes which high in vitamin B. TQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Wendy, they are different. Brewer's yeast is cultivated from Saccharomyces Cerevisiae that feeds on the sugars of the grains used to make beer or bread and ferments them into carbon dioxide and ethyl alcohol, whereas for nutritional yeas, the Saccharomyces Cerevisiae is not obtained from the brewing industry but is grown on molasses, sugar beet or wood pulp. But yes, both are rich in B-vitamins but there are variations in terms of their mineral contents. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure on the difference. I know nutritional yeast flakes are designed for vegan, wonder if brewers yeast would be ok for vegan?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...