Friday, November 15, 2013

Very good Bamboo charcoal "rotiboy" bun

Prior to this, I didn't know that it was possible to bake soft and fluffy (and would remain soft for at least a day or two) bread/bun without adding any improver. Having tried this a few times, I knew that it is possible. No improver. No shortening. I'm very impressed. I've done it using this basic soft bread dough a few times, and baked it using a small toaster oven and it gave me great breads, no fail. So if you're looking for a good soft fluffy bread/bun recipe, do this. The recipe is here
 
I used the same dough recipe to bake these bamboo charcoal "rotiboy" bun. I just added 1tbsp of organic bamboo charcoal powder to the flour when kneading the dough. Many bloggers have written about the origin and story behind rotiboy. So I'm not going to talk about it here. Just ask Mr. Google if you wish to know further.

My rotiboy bun topping recipe came from a combination of Zoe and Miss B. I adapted their recipe and made my own, using organic ingredients available at my shop, Just Health. I bake extra to sell at the shop too. I love how they turned out. They were not that sweet, cos I used molasses sugar, instead of icing sugar.

 









Topping for "rotiboy" bun
  • 100g organic sesame butter, tahini  
  • 100g organic molasses sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 120g all purpose flour
  • 2tbsp Caramel hazelnut coffee powder dissolved in 2tbsp of water
Cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Add in pure vanilla extract, coffee and beaten egg. Beat until smooth. Add in flour and mix until well-combined (it resemble a piping cream texture now).
 
When the buns has finished their second proofing and are ready to go into the oven (while preheating the oven), put the coffee topping into a piping bag or any plastic bag and cut the tip, pipe in spiral pattern covering at least 3/4 of the bun.
 
Using a toaster oven, I bake these at 190deg C for 13min, turn the tray and baked for another 5min. Good that I had half the buns covered with multigrain (black and white sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds). I knew that they were done when the pumpkin seeds start toasting and popping away.
 
Verdict: SOOOOO good!! It tastesss exactly like the ones sold at Rotiboy, if not better. Mom mentioned that the use of molasses sugar made it better, cos it made it smells fragrant and it isn't too sweet. Just right. My whole shop (yes I baked this in my shop using a small toaster oven) smells of freshly baked buns and coffee now.

I also made these crescent roll using the same bread dough recipe.

See how soft and fluffy they are?




Notes added 23/11/2013

I freeze some of these bread for future consumptions in the freezer. I took them out of the freezer and steam for abt 5-10min, they were still soft and fluffy.

I also made them into croutons. Love the color contract between the croutons and the salad :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...