The in-laws were out attending a wedding dinner, so it was my turn to make dinner. I prepared something that's fast and easy, cos the lil' fella wasn't felling well and was super cranky and clingy. I had to carry him (with my i-angel babycarrier) while making prep for the din.
Made my own teriyaki sauce for the fish and mushroom. Super loved it!! I loved having it made my own, cos I can adjust its sweetness and saltiness, I do find outside ones quite sweet. And it's so easy to prepare using the ingredients commonly found in any kitchen. I don't need to buy a bottle of teriyaki sauce just because I'm cooking Japanese tonight.
|My sweethearts <3|
|Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes|
Recipe for the teriyaki sauce (adapted from here)
Mix together soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, grated ginger and garlic. Used the sauce to marinade the fish for about an hour. Then pan-fry the fish. Leave the fish aside. Put the sauce into the same fry pan. Heat through and add in corn flour mixed with water. Cook till sauce thickens and pour over fish. I also used the sauce to simmer the enoki mushroom.
Recipe for the chawanmushi (adapted from here)
(makes 4 serving)
- 3 eggs
- 300ml water
- dash of salt and toasted sesame oil
- about 2tbsp minced pork, seasoned with salt, soy sauce and corn flour
1. Gently beat eggs with a pair of chopsticks. Add in water and seasoning. Beat to combine. Strain the egg mixture to remove any egg blobs.
2. Divide the minced pork among 4 ramekin dish or those Japanese cups (used commonly to prepare chawanmushi).
3. Pour in the egg-water mixture. Cover with aluminium oil.
4. Steam for 10min. Place toppings, like enoki or sliced mushroom or ginkgo etc.
5. Steam for another 7min. Serve.
I also served our main meal with a simple salad served with a homemade Japanese goma dressing.
For dessert, we had green tea Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes.