Saturday, November 23, 2013

Roast chicken salad with Japanese goma dressing and tahini spread

I used to love buying Japanese goma dressing from the shop. It's not easily available in Sandakan, so I usually buy them back when I travel elsewhere.
 
When I found out that I still have lots of white sesame seeds unused, I thought of making tahini spread (white sesame butter, the healthier of peanut butter).. then I came across Nami's site which taught about how to make our own Japanese goma dressing. I tried making it, it turned out just as good as the ones I bought from outside.
 
Roasted white sesame seeds blended with sesame oil.

 
 
 
Recipe adapted from Nami's
 
Ingredients:
  • 3tbsp white sesame, I used organic ones, pre-toasted in an oven for abt 5min at 175deg C 
  • 2tbsp mayonnaise
  • 2tbsp brown rice vinegar
  • 1.5tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg's liquid amino)
  • 1tsp honey (or more for sweeter one)
  • 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil, organic
I added more sesame oil to mine so that it's more liquid and runny.
 
Blend the toasted white sesame seeds with sesame oil and honey. Then season with the rest of the ingredients. To make it easier to blend, let the toasted sesame cool down and store in the fridge before blending.
 
 
Recipe for the tahini spread (or my healthier version of peanut butter)
  • 2cups of white sesame seeds, toasted in oven at 175deg C for abt 5min
  • 8-10tbsp of toasted sesame oil, organic
  • 2-4tbsp of honey
When my hubby ate a bread I made using this tahini spread, he was sooo sure it was peanut butter. Hohoooo.. I'm impressed. Try it. It seriously taste like peanut butter. You may also replace the sesame oil to other oil that's not that strongly flavored, like grapeseed or sunflower seed oil.
 
Btw, do you pronounce it se-sa-me (say-sem-mee) or see-same? It's definite the first one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...