Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fish parcel with sweet potato mash (Bill Granger)

One of the lil' fella's favorite dinner dish is mashed potato with cheese and fish (fish is steamed and flaked and added into the mash). It's a dish that is very easy and quick to prepare. I always prepare this for him whenever I don't have a lot of time to spare in the kitchen.
 
Today, I decided to make something similar but prepared in a different manner for his dinner, adapting a technique used by Bill Granger in his recipe of fish parcels with lemon potatoes. I am quite happy to have tried this, cos again, this is another quick and easy one, yet super delicious, in a different way to his usual mash and fish.
 
The lil' fella has just turned one. So I am still opting out some of the ingredients used in his recipe, ie lemon and olives but replaced with whatever I have in my fridge. I also replaced the coriander and parsley with Thai basil (freshly plucked from my garden). The lil' fella seems to not like coriander, just like his dad.
 
From bottom up: sweet potato mash, fish, garlic & seasoning, herb

Pour over cream
 
Wrap up the parchment paper parcel

 
Recipe, adapted from here.
Recipe serves one little boy, aged 1
 
Ingredients:
  • 200g sweet potatoes, steamed and mashed with grated cheddar cheese              
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 5 Thai basil leaves
  • 1 white fish fillet, about 100g (I used threadfin)      
  • 2tbsp heavy cream      
  • cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes as seasoning
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170deg C (fan-forced).
  2. Prepare 1 30cm square of parchment paper and lay them on kitchen counter. Place the sweet potato mash on it and season with minced garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes and Thai basil leaves.
  3. Top with the fish fillet and pour over heavy cream.  Then pull the sides of parchment paper to and seal to create a sealed parcel (see photo above).
  4. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15min.


 


Photobucket

I'm linking this post to Cook like a Star (Bill Granger), organised by Zoe, Bake for Happy Kids, Yen from Eat your heart out and Mich from Piece of Cake.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    Your fish parcel looks really nice and easy to bake. Nice to know this adult style recipe suits very well for baby eating too :D

    I really enjoy most of Bill's recipes in his book, Bill Cooks for Kids. They are all very simple and very kids-friendly.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, thanks for letting me know of that, I didn't know he has a book for kids. In fact, I haven't seen him on tele or come across any of his recipe books. Over here, Jamie is big, much bigger. Hohoo.. but thanks to you, again, I learnt from different chef.

      Delete
  2. Jen!
    This looks good, will make this for DH's dinner sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's good. It's just a simple combination of potato cheese and fish, but it can be done in another way, making it something totally new and avant garde.

      Delete
  3. I like this! Simple and healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...