Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A toddler's Zha Jiang noodle 一个幼童的炸酱面


'Mien mien is black in color', he told me when he saw this. Deep down inside, I was nervous, but I hid my wrecking nerves, cos I wasn't sure if he would accept it, I have heard many kids who doesn't accept non-ordinary-looking color noodles or pasta. I took the risk today in making this black charcoal noodle topped with zha jiang (minced chicken with finely chopped pumpkin and apple in organic fermented red yeast bean curd sauce 有机红曲豆腐乳酱)。 Yummm.. I uttered out while slurping the noodle. He then said, mien mien hou sik (the noodle is delicious). Tada!! I was a happy mom he loved this! 

Today's theme for his tot schools is bat, inspired from the CVC words that he's learning this week, ie Bat, Cat and Hat. Even his meals today are inspired by today's theme, black color charcoal noodle that resembles the color of bat. Pumpkin and apple are bat's food. 

I personally love zha jiang mian a lot, I love to have lots of the zha jiang that gives flavor to the noodle, but I don't know what flavoring or sauces are used to cook those sold outside. I am just trying my luck with this organic  fermented red yeast bean curd sauce, it turns out to taste very yummy. 



Recipe (serves 2-3)
  • 1/4 or 1/2 chicken breast, minced, marinated with pinch of salt, toasted sesame oil and 1/2 tbsp cornflour 
  • 2tbsp cooking oil, I used organic grapeseed oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 150g finely cubed pumpkin 
  • 1/2 apple, finely cubed 
  • 1/2 tbsp fermented red yeast bean curd sauce, dissolved in 3tbsp hot water 
  • pinch of salt and white pepper powder (optional) 
  • noodle, boiled to bring to cook 
Instructions 
  1. Heat up 2tbsp cooking oil in a hot frying pan. 
  2. Stir in minced garlic and minced chicken. Stir fry until chicken gets brown. Stir in cubed pumpkin and apple. Stir fry for another 2-3 minutes 
  3. Pour in fermented red yeast bean curd sauce, close the lid and simmer for another 5-10minutes, make sure the pan doesn't gets too dry, add in more water if needed. Season accordingly. The red yeast bean curd sauce itself is fermented, thus is quite salty. 
  4. Optional, thicken the sauce with cornflour if needed. 
  5. Serve with cooked noodle. 


**Organic fermented red yeast bean curd sauce 有机红曲豆腐乳酱 is available for sale at Just Health, Sandakan. Contact: justhealthsandakan@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...