Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Breakfast pancake lasagna

Our kitchen has run out of bread or cereals, so we have no breakfast and I have to whip up something. Wanted to make pancakes, but I don't have a good spread or filling to go with my pancakes. Then I come across this Chinese pancake, which I thought I can serve it savory with my freshly made tomato pesto and cheese.
 
This Chinese blogger Apple 爱自己 is really good, her blog has all the photos and illustrated steps on making this Chinese pancake, so even if you don't read Chinese, do visit it to browse through the photos, you'll get the idea, roughly. Her skills are also good. I halved the recipe to make two thin pancakes. First pancake got stucked but still got saved. But I had to use a second frying pan to make my second pancake >.< .. second pancake didn't get stucked, but almost got burnt by the side. Again, this concludes that, I'm terrible with pancakes, be it the English or the Chinese pancakes.
 
Since the pancake didn't turn out really good looking, I decided to mask it by turning it into a pancake lasagna. Heheheee.. still look good afterall, don't you think so?
 

 
 
This is how I made them
 
 
To make the pancake, you'll need:
 *This recipe makes two thin pancake
  • 75g all purpose flour
  • 125g water, at room temperature
  • Some chopped up scallions/ spring onions
  • 1egg, beaten
Instructions
  1. Combine the flour and water with a pair of chopsticks. Whisk until there is no flour blobs. Set for about 10min.
  2. Brush oil on a flat pan. Do not need to heat up the pan. Spread thin layer of batter on pan. Turn on the heat. When the batter slowly gets cooked, you'll see it turning from opaque to a little translucent. At this stage, sprinkle in the spring onion and half of the beaten egg.
  3. If your skill is good, and the pancake doesn't get sticked to the pan, turn it over and heat through. I didn't get to do this. It starts to tear apart when I tried to flip it over. So I just roll them up and lay on a ceramic dish to be baked into a lasagna.
  4. To make the lasagna, spread a layer of tomato pesto, top with lots of grated Cheddar. Bake at 180deg C for about 5-10min until the cheese melts.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jennifer!
    I Love most of the recipes you've shared and I've linked your blog to my blog list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...