Bagel was my favorite when I was in the uni. I was one of those uni students always looking out for marked-down items at the end of the day and they can be selling 4 bagels at just 20p!! Good deals, ai? Now that I am baking my own bread and pizza base, I am kinda shocked how easy it is to prepare bagel. Hahahaaaa
I used my breadmaker to help me knead and first proof my bagel dough. Here's the step-by-step pictorials of how I made them. I topped them with a combination of black sesame seeds and chopped pumpkin seeds. Don't they look lovely?
This recipe makes 3-4 bagels
Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients:1tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 cup warm water (or more)
250g bread flour (high protein flour)
pinch of salt
1tsp oregano, basil and tomato flakes
1. Place the warm water in the breadpan. Add in brown sugar, salt and seasoning. Top with flour. Make a well on top of flour and place in the yeast.
2. Select mode no. 6 和面 to combine and knead the dough for about 10min or until you get a smooth-surface dough.
3. Select mode no. 8 发酵 to proof the dough for an hour.
4. After about an hour, or the dough has doubled in size, take the dough out of the breadpan, punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
5. Carefully divide the dough into 3-4 pieces. Shape each piece into a round dough ball.6. Coat a finger in flour, and gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to about ⅓ the diameter of the bagel and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Repeat the same step with the remaining dough.
7. After shaping the dough rounds and placing them on the cookie sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
8. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat. Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to lower the bagels into the water. Boil as many as you are comfortable with boiling. Once the bagels are in, it shouldn’t take too long for them to float to the top (a couple seconds). Let them sit there for 1 minute, and them flip them over to boil for another minute.
9. Once all the bagels have boiled (and have been topped with your choice of toppings), transfer them to a lightly oiled baking sheet. Preheat oven to 175deg C.
10. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.