Sunday, December 1, 2013

Steamed savory cupcakes - tomato and cheese



 
 
Since I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with the lil' fella (which has left me after I gave birth), I'm no more a big fan of sweet stuffs. I tried not to drink my coffee with sugar, and also stopped indulging in cheesecakes from the shops. Instead, I make my own sweet indulgence, so I can control the amount of sugar I add in.
 
This steamed muffin is something I always make, sometimes 2-3times in a week, cos it's sooo easy and convenient to make. No mixer no oven needed. It only requires about 5-10min to prepare and put everything together, and it only needs 8min to steam them. It makes soft and fluffy cupcakes. Best of all, it's a recipe that makes about 4-6 cupcakes, which is great, cos we don't have lots of us in our household to finish them.
 
When I prepared these, I thought to myself, these are gonna be savory, no sweeteners added into them at all, a person has to be quite mature in terms of their palate to appreciate them. I hope the lil' fella will like them.
 
Recipe, adapted from my previous ones.

  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour with 1.5tsp of baking powder (I used natural b.p. cos they are aluminum free)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1tbsp of grapeseed oil
  • 2tbsp tomato puree, homemade (you should be able to use store-bought or ketchup)
  • 2tbsp grated cheddar cheese
  • 2tbsp fresh milk
  • 1 egg
  1. Beat the egg with milk, oil and salt. Add in tomato puree and grated cheddar cheese. Combine.
  2. Sift in all purposed flour and baking powder.
  3. Divide the batter between 4-5 cupcake liner and place into a silicone cupcake liner.
  4. Steam for 8-9min.
Verdict: Yes!! The lil' fella has complicated tastebud! He eats them. These are good. I love them myself. They are quite a good compliment if taken together with a hot a creamy soup.
 
Note: The batter was pink in color before steamed. The pink or red color goes away after steamed. It's quite common with all dish involving red-color fruits or veg, came across info that the anthocyanin (the natural food colorant) loses its color after steaming, something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...