Thursday, May 8, 2014

Moist chocolate cake (steamed)



 
 
 
 
Arghhh... I've been MIA from my blog for sooo long. And I don't know what I've been occupied with. Geee.. But I've been steaming cakes lately, a lot. This recipe alone, I have done at last three times before I finally decided to blog about it. This is a great recipe, the cake or cupcake (I've decided to steam them in cupcake liner after my first one in a loaf tin, cos it takes shorter time in cupcake liner) turns out to be very very moist, just like the moist chocolate cakes sold in café out there. It's very easy to prepare, the ingredients are quite basic, and you don't even need an electric mixer to mix in all the ingredients.
 
I'm not sure who's the owner of this recipe. I have seen this recipe being shared a lot everywhere. The ones I have is posted by a mom in FB group Healthy Food For My Baby. Before looking clearly, the long list of ingredients kinda put me off, but after going through it properly, I realized it's actually very simple. It also has a recipe for a fudge topping, if you're making this as a birthday cake or gift as friend, but for me, I bake this as tea time or breakkie, so there's no need for the topping. It already taste perfect without the topping.
 
Ingredients:
*one full recipe makes one cake in an 8-inch round cake pan or 12 cupcakes
  • 180g butter
  • 150g brown sugar (this is a reduced amount, its original sugar content is 200g)
  • 200g fresh milk (original ingredient is evaporated milk)
  • 2 eggs, beaten with fork
  • 100g plain flour or cake flour, either is fine
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 1tsp baking powder (I omitted the baking soda in the ori recipe and topped up the b.powder)
 
Choc fudge topping (optional)
  • 200g condensed milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2tbsp veg oil
  • 20g cocoa powder, sifted
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Combine sugar, milk and butter in a bowl over another pan of boiling water. Stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Remove from heat.
  2. Add beaten eggs into the butter-milk mixture and stir to mix evenly.
  3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder into another mixing bowl, then pour in the egg batter and combine until evenly mixed (cake batter is runny).
  4. Prep up the steamer and heat up the water till boiling.
  5. Line and grease a round cake pan (I didn't have a round cake pan, I baked mine in a loaf tin). Pour the batter into the greased pan and cover the top of pan loosely with aluminum foil.
  6. Steam over medium heat for 45min (or 15min in cupcake liner).
  7. Cool the cake in pan before inverting out to serve.
To make the choc fudge topping:
  1. Combine the sieved cocoa powder, condensed milk and oil in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until thicken.
  2. Add in salt and vanilla essence.
  3. Cool the choc fudge topping slightly before spreading on the cake. Refrigerate before serving.
Note:
  • I have also added some chopped toasted almond and walnuts topping right before steaming.
  • If you have extra that can't be finished, you can keep them in the fridge and steam them for another 2-5min before serving, they are as good as fresh.



I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Tze from Awayofmind Bakery House at this post.





4 comments:

  1. Jennifer, glad to know you through blog linkup! You are nutritionist by profession?! Wow! Love your moist steamed cake!

    Thanks for linkup with Little Thumbs Up!

    Cheers
    Tze

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, just stumbled upon your recipe. you mentioned steam for 15 mins if on cupcake liner? Means if I pour the batter into the cupcakes mold, I only steam for 15mins, is it? Am new to baking/steaming. appreciate advise :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer, thanks for the sharing, i tried your recipe last week n it turn out awesome! the cake is soft, fluffy n moist. my 18 month gal love it! but one thing i am not so sure, these two days, she'd delayed her bed time after having this cake, not sure if the caffeine in the chocolate powder cos the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer,

    I'm totally convinced too that steaming can make very delicious chocolate cake too. This must be one of the good steamed cake recipes!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...