Last night, I was blog-hopping for breakfast ideas with ipad on our bed. The lil' fella wasn't asleep and was still fooling around when I did that. He saw this pic of Wen's delight's butter cake on the ipad screen and shouted out 'mom mom!!' (which meant food).. so I asked him, do you want to have this for breakfast tomorrow?? He just continued saying 'mom mom'.. I guess that's his way of saying yes. So I decided on this recipe. According to Wen, this is one of her all time favorite, shouldn't go much wrong with this, plus this involves the yolk and white separation technique, it should yield a soft cake.
Ingredients (I halved the original recipe, thus the very short looking marble cake :p)
120g butter, chopped
2tbsp brown sugar
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
100g cake flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
2 egg whites
1tbsp brown sugar
Optional for marble effect:
1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1.5 tbsp. hot water
*I have also reduced the amount of sugar from the original recipe
- Preheat oven at 170C. Line a loaf tin.
- Cream butter, sugar, salt until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until fluffy.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and mix well. Set aside.
- Beat egg white and sugar till soft peak in another bowl.
- Fold 1/3 of egg white meringue into yolk batter. Mix well and fold in the rest.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder and hot water until there is no cocoa powder lumps. Mix into 1-2tbsp egg yolk batter in another bowl.
- Pour yellow batter into lined tin, followed by cocoa batter.
- Bake for 25-30min or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.