Friday, October 18, 2013

Roasted vege pizza

I've been craving for a good homemade pizza for sometime. I don't wanna get them from pizza hut cos they have thick and doughy crust, I wanted something thin, with lots of vege and lots of cheese. I knew I had to make my own.
 
Mom and I had lots of pizza during our last trip to Italy. Mosf of them were just plain pizza with lots of cheese and nothing much else (how the Italians love theirs). I don't mind the generous serving of cheese, but I would love it more with more toppings.
 
Mom just got back to Sandakan and I come across this easy pizza base recipe by Ree Drummond, so I prepped this up the night before to bake as breakfast the next morning. Ree suggested to rest the dough in the fridge for a few days before making the pizza. I didn't have the time. I only rested it from 9pm to 6am (about 9 hours) in fridge and took it out and left at room temperature for about 30min prior to making the base, and it tasted okay. I had half of the dough left after making this one, so that can rest for longer and I get to try the difference.
 
I only used her recipe for the dough, and I went free-style for the topping. I knew what I wanted. Lots of vege (especially those vege that I can't finish and are still lying in the fridge) and lots of cheese.

Before baking: topped up with generous serving of veg.

Before baking: topped with generous amount of grated cheddar and sliced olives

Fresh out of the oven


Pizza and coffee for breakfast, delizioso!

Lil' fella enjoyed the pizza crust too.
Recipe
Adapted from Ree Drummond's Favorite Pizza
 
For the crust (makes two thin crust, rectangle shape about 15cmx20cm)
  • 1/2 tsp dried instant yeast, sprinkled over 3/4 cup warm water.
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt

To make the crust
 
Sprinkle yeast over 3/4 cup warm (not lukewarm) water.
In a mixer (I used my breadmaker), combine flour and salt. With the mixer running on low speed (with paddle attachment), drizzle in olive oil until combined with flour. Next, pour in yeast/water mixture and mix until just combined.
 
Coat a separate mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil, and form the dough into a ball. Toss to coat dough in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you need it. ***It's best to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance, and 3 or 4 days is even better.
 
My recipe for the topping:
  • about 8-10 cherry tomatoes, cut into half 
  • half a zucchini, sliced
  • 2 shallots, roughly chopped
  • 2 brown button mushrooms, sliced
  • about 150g pumpkin, sliced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • about 8-10 pitted olives, thinly sliced 
  • 1tbsp sundried tomato, finely chopped
  • 3tbsp grated cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 160deg.
2. Mix cherry tomatoes, zucchini, shallots, mushrooms, pumpkin, garlic in a baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper or other seasoning. (I also seasoned with balsamic vinegar)
3. Roast the veg for about 15-20min, or until the veg turns soft and a little wrinkly. Let cool and store in fridge.
 
To prep the pizza (I prep everything else the night before, and this step onwards are made in the morning)
 
1. Preheat oven to 190degreeC (fan forced, bottom heat only).
2. Drizzle olive oil on a large baking sheet (can only find aluminium foil in my kitchen) and use fingers to coat thoroughly. Remove HALF the pizza dough from the bowl. Stretch pizza dough into a large rectangle, pressing with fingers to finish forming. Dough will be very thin. (I used a roller to roll my mine into a thin rectangular, measuring about 15cm x 20cm)
3. Lightly drizzle a little olive oil on the dough and use fingers to spread. I spread a layer of tomato puree (something I always have, pre made and stored in fridge).
4. Lay the roasted vege thinly on the tomato puree. Top with grated cheddar, followed by olives and sundried tomato and a few Thai basil leaves (available freshly in my garden).
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Remove from pan and slice with a pizza cutter. Serve immediately!

1 comment:

  1. this is a recipe in my to do list yet to be executed, definitely will
    yours looks just awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...