Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hearty pumpkin oatmeal with mashed banana


 
 
 
It has been raining this few days and the mornings has been quite chilly and wet. So I decided to make a hearty oatmeal for the lil' fella using pumpkin. One of my favorite dish with pumpkin is the sweet creamy pumpkin sago that is sometimes served at wedding banquets or dinner parties, and I would like to emulate that for the lil' fella using all the ingredients that are okay for his age (he's turning 11month old end of the month and he's still on a sugar and salt-free diet).
 
Ingredients:
*3tbsp pumpkin, cubed
*2tbsp rolled oat, soaked for about 2hours
*2cups water

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on 'high' mode for about 2-3 hours.

Serve with 1/2 mashed banana, 1tbsp breastmilk/ formula milk or fresh milk (for those above 1) and 1/2 tsp of virgin coconut oil. Optional: season with dash of all spice powder / cinnamon powder.
 
The pumpkin oatmeal turned out very creamy, just like how the adult's creamy pumpkin sago is. But it still tasted a little bland to me, which was the reason why I mashed in half a banana to sweeten it up. I have also added in 1-2 tbsp of milk to make it even creamier, which I later on thought that it can be optional. It was already quite creamy on its own. But for mommies with babies on nursing strike, having the milk in it would be a way to ensure that your lil' one is still getting his/her daily amount of milk.
 
This post is linked to the cooking/baking event, Yummy Homemade BabyFood, organized by me and Healthy Food for My Baby. To join, simply cook and bake any dishes for your babies under 2, using pumpkin (for month of September 2013). For more details, please see this.
 
 
 
 
 






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this recipe! I tried and my 13 mo boy loves it!
    Would like to know any other combination than pumpkin can you recommend with this recipe? Will it alter the cooking time?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...