Saturday, August 9, 2014

Orange & mango chiffon cake

Somehow, today didn't feel like a Saturday. Time seems to fly by so quickly these days. I had a class at Just Health today to teach the new Donlim breadmaker clients on their new machines. After the class, I went home and baked my favorite 'tang mian' (scalded dough) chiffon cake so that mom can try it. Mom loved it. The lil' fella loved it too.



This is adapted from a chiffon cake recipe that I tried out sometime back, but this round, I turned it into a 'cooked dough' (tang mian) version. It turned out fantasticly soft, in fact, a little on the moist side. I actually love my chiffon to be a little moist, it seems to give that 'melt-in-your-mouth' sensation.

Here's the recipe, adapted from Happy Home Baker. 

Ingredients:(I used an 18cm chiffon pan)

4 egg yolks (medium)
2.5tbsp dark muscovado sugar
3tbsp rice bran oil
90g freshly squeezed orange juice
80g cake flour (I actually used 65g all purpose flour and 15g corn flour)

4 egg whites (medium)
3tbsp dark muscovado sugar

60g chopped mango


Instructions:
  1. Sieve cake flour and set aside. 
  2. Combine rice bran oil with freshly squeezed orange juice. Heat up to simmering in a pan. Remove from heat. Add in sifted flour. Add into egg yolk mix. Whisk to combine.
  3. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a handheld electric mixer on low speed until mixture becomes frothy and foamy.  Add half of the sugar amount and turn to high speed and beat the mixture. Continue to add in the remaining sugar and beat until the egg whites reaches the soft peak stage.The soft peak stage is reached when the peaks of the whites curl over and droop slightly. The egg whites should appear smooth and glossy, and if you overturn the bowl, the egg white meringue doesn't drop.
  4. Add the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk batter in 3 separate additions, each time folding gently with a spatula until just blended.
  5. Add in the chopped mango.  
  6. Pour batter into a 18cm tube pan (do not grease the pan). Tap the pan lightly on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
  7. Bake in pre-heated oven at 140 degC for 40 mins (every oven differs, my oven has been a very friendly one, after about 20min in the oven, I had to tent an alum foil loosely oven the chiffon to avoid the top from getting too brown), bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, when lightly pressed the cake will spring back. Invert the pan immediately and let cool completely before unmould (I usually wait for at least an hour before I unmould the cake from the pan).  


Yep, this is me letting my clients know why it is now more important to bake our own bread rather than buying from outside.


For enquiry related to the breadmaker that I sell at Just Health, please email justhealthsandakan@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...