Thursday, August 14, 2014

Coffee chiffon cake (scalded dough/ cooked flour method)




Here's the lil' fella and my mom enjoying their chiffon cakes for breakfast. 

Yea, it's chiffon cake again. I love to bake and eat chiffon cakes. It's so light and feels much 'healthier'. It is still delicious even though I cut the sugar by quite a lot. And best of all, it's the only kind of cake that everyone in the family loves (even my MIL who doesn't eat cakes loves eating my chiffon cake) and it gets eaten up in a few hours, so I have no problem of leftover or food wastage. 

Even though this is called Coffee Chiffon Cake and made using the 3-in-1 instant coffee sachet, but it is not that intense in terms of its coffee flavor. Instead, the aroma of dark muscovado sugar 黑砂糖 is more pronounced. 

This is a recipe that I've been using a lot lately, just used the same recipe to bake Orange and Mango Chiffon few days ago. I like it cos it doesn't use a lot of egg (my hubby had been wondering why the eggs get used up so fast... :p) and it fits my 18cm chiffon tube pan just right. 

Here's the recipe, adapted from Happy Home Baker. 

Ingredients:(I used an 18cm chiffon pan)

4 egg yolks (medium)
2tbsp dark muscovado sugar
3tbsp rice bran oil
90g coffee made up with 3-in-1 coffee sachet
80g cake flour (I actually used 65g all purpose flour and 15g corn flour)

4 egg whites (medium)
3tbsp dark muscovado sugar


Instructions:
  1. Sieve cake flour and set aside. 
  2. Combine rice bran oil with coffee. Heat up to simmering in a pan. Remove from heat. Add in sifted flour. Add into egg yolk mix. Whisk to combine. Leave in fridge to chill. 
  3. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a handheld electric mixer on low speed until mixture becomes frothy and foamy.  Add half of the sugar amount and turn to high speed and beat the mixture. Continue to add in the remaining sugar and beat until the egg whites reaches the soft peak stage.The soft peak stage is reached when the peaks of the whites curl over and droop slightly. The egg whites should appear smooth and glossy, and if you overturn the bowl, the egg white meringue doesn't drop.
  4. Add the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk batter in 3 separate additions, each time folding gently with a spatula until just blended.
  5. Pour batter into a 18cm tube pan (do not grease the pan). Tap the pan lightly on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
  6. Bake in pre-heated oven at 140 degC for 40 mins (every oven differs, my oven has been a very friendly one, after about 20min in the oven, I had to tent an alum foil loosely oven the chiffon to avoid the top from getting too brown), bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, when lightly pressed the cake will spring back. Invert the pan immediately and let cool completely before unmould (I usually wait for at least an hour before I unmould the cake from the pan).  
Here's a youtube video link on how I unmould the chiffon cake from its pan. This is the part I love the most about baking chiffon cake, aside than eating it. 


This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (August 2014 Event: Flour) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe.





1 comment:

  1. HI Jennifer, I can imagine the depth of flavour the muscovado sugar would have give to this cake!! what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...