Thursday, July 31, 2014

Durian chiffon cake

I have been MIA from my blog for a very long time. Feeling bad about it. Been travelling and my laptop failed on me. So all the nice buns and cakes I have done recently haven't been blogged nor recorded.

I did this durian chiffon cake last night and I told myself by hook or by crook I have to put it onto my blog. As you notice from the quality of the photo, yep.. photos were taken using my phone.

I have been a big fan of durian but I'm afraid of it.. eating it I meant. It's pretty hefty in terms of its sugar and cholesterol content. I was initially thinking to bake durian butter cake with it. But I didn't. Instead I baked a lighter and 'healthier' one.

This recipe was adapted from Fong's Kitchen (link is here http://fong-kitchen-journal.blogspot.com/2013/08/durian-chiffon-cooked-dough-method.html?m=1). I have always loved baking chiffon using the tang mian method. Love that it remains soft and fluffy.

Recipe
(chiffon pan size: 18cm)

(A):
30g butter (I omitted this and replaced with rice bran oil)
20g corn oil (I used rice bran oil)
70g milk
1/4 tsp salt

(B) Sift together:
90g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

(C) Mix together:
4 yolks
100g durian puree (if durian flesh is too dry, add 1 to 2 tbsp milk)

(D):
5 egg whites (I only used 4 whites)
70g sugar (I cut down to 60g sugar)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I omitted this)

Method:
1) Combine (A) together in a small sauce pot and bring it to gentle simmer.  Once it starts to simmer, remove the pot from heat and stir in (B).  

2) Pour (C) into step 1 and mix till combined.  Set aside the batter.

3) Whisk (D) till peak form.  Fold the meringue into the prepared batter (fold 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time).  Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon pan.

4) Bake in preheated oven at 170C for about 45 minutes (I baked mine at 140C for 35min in my Fotile oven).

Sent via Xiaomi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...