I may be a multitasking mom, but I do not take my cooking lightly. I love my cooking to be flavorful (flavored with naturally available spice and ingredients) and presentable, as it improves one's appetite. I make effort in cooking nice delicious food for my family, especially little J. Even if it means waking up at 5am to prep for our lunch, I would still think it's all worth the time and effort. I am a working mom, so I try my best to wake up earlier everyday to prep my own breakfast and lunch for both little J and I. I am very fortunate that I get to take long lunch break to enjoy nice homecooked lunch at the comfort of our home.
I prep for this dish ahead (the night before) by
- Marinating the chicken with dash of liquid amino (or soy sauce), pinch of salt and sesame oil
- *Mincing the garlic, shallots and onion in blender and store in fridge for use the next morning.
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 1 chicken leg or half a chicken, chunked
- 3 cloves of garlic* (See prep no. 2 above)
- 4 shallots* (See prep no. 2 above)
- 1/2 onion* (See prep no. 2 above)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, quartered
- 150g pumpkin, cubed
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp tomato puree (if you dont have this, then use more tomatoes)
- 2-3 cups of freshly squeezed coconut milk (or stock)
- Salt and pepper (season accordingly)
- Optional: 3x Fresh brown button mushroom and a small bunch of enoki mushroom
- Heat up 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil (I use grapeseed oil for cooking for LO) in a wok/ pan. Pan fry cubed pumpkin and curry leaves till pumpkins turn golden color on the outisde. Set aside.
- Heat up 1tbsp of cooking oil in a wok/ pan. Stir fry garlic, shallots and onion mince with chicken until chicken turns brown.
- Add in mushrooms, tomato, pumpkin and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in turmeric powder, tomato puree with coconut milk (or stock). Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Season accordingly.
- Serve with rice.