Friday, November 21, 2014

Banana muffin with choco chips and cinnamon streusel




It's my son's second day at preschool today. Tell me if you're like me. I have a feeling I'm the one more excited than him. I wake up early to prepare two special treats for him to bring to preschool. Well, not that he's not excited. He loves being in school. Everytime asked, he told me, school is fun! (oh well, I shall keep track and we'll see how long he'll think school is actually fun!). After he got home from his preschool, he has been singing all day long! I asked him, do you wanna go to school tomorrow? He said YES! So I guess it's only fair to say we are both equally excited about him going to school. 

Yesterday, I prepared him pasta with minced chicken in creamy pumpkin sauce, and a pot of yogurt. Food like that may be messy, and I do wonder what the other parents prep for their kids. Anyways, I shall make something that's easier and less messy to eat today, ie buttery cornflake cookies (a recipe shared by a mommy from Healthy Food for My Baby facebook group) and banana muffin with chocolate chips and cinnamon streusel, recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction's blog. Both are delicious and very moorish!! When the cookies were just done, I have been munching on them, and I shouldn't cos they would give me sore throat but they are too delicious!! (Note: They are a little soft and chewy when fresh out of the oven, after about 15 to 20min when cooled down, they will turn crispy). For the cookies' recipe, please refer here

Here's the recipe for the banana muffin with chocolate chips and cinnamon streusel

This recipe yielded about 8-9 muffins 

Muffin
  • 1.5 cups all purpose flour 
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder (I omitted the baking soda from the original recipe) 
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar 
  • 50g butter, softened to room temperature, chopped
  • 40g grapeseed oil 
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed 
  • 3tbsp plain yogurt / milk

Streusel topping (You may opt out the topping, but I felt that the topping makes it extra yummy!) 
  • 1tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1/4 cup dark muscovado sugar
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 185deg C. 
  2. Make the streusel first by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside. 
  3. In another bowl, sift in flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. 
  4. In another bowl, beat together sugar, chopped butter, oil and egg until fluffy. Beat in mashed banana and yogurt. Sift in dry ingredients until everything is just combined. Do not overmix. 
  5. Fill muffin liner with about 3/4 full batter. Top with streusel topping.
  6. Bake muffins for 10min at 185deg C. Lower temperature to 175deg and bake for another 10min. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...