Friday, June 26, 2015

Creamy paprika chicken and chickpea casserole


Can you see those little fingers there? J can't wait to have a bite at it.  

Off late, I have not been trying out any new recipes at all! Our lunch has been quite monotonous, so last night I blog-hopped a little to find inspiration for something different. I came across a fellow blogger mommy friend, Joyce who shared recipes for a very delicious looking chickpea ragout and chilli con carne. I have always loved chilli con carne, but I don't have any red kidney beans in stock, and I felt chilli con carne would tastes better off with minced beef and that's something I don't usually have in my freezer neither. Perhaps I can make the chickpea ragout. 

While cooking mine this morning, I felt that something is missing in terms of its flavor, so I added in ground cumin and ground paprika, and I served it with yummy yummy sour cream. When having it, I felt this dish is a cross between a ragout and a chilli con carne! Nonetheless, it turns out to be super yummy, much nicer beyond my expectation! Even little J (my little 31mo) loves it. He finishes everything on the plate. I thought he would like the crispy potato wedges, but he wasn't too keen this round. Instead, he loves the chicken and the casserole. This is definitely a 'must try' recipe, if you ask me. 

Oh, and I shouldn't forget to mention, it isn't hard to make. I think it took me around 45min from preparation (cutting the veg etc). I even had enough time to bake some banana and cinnamon cupcakes this morning, after preparing this casserole dish. 

Recipe (serves 2, one adult, one toddler, with some leftover that can be served with pasta for the toddler) 
  • 2 chicken drumsticks 
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, finely minced 
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin 
  • 1/4 tsp ground paprika 
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup chicken stock 
  • 3-4 tbsp cooked chickpeas* (Check method of cooking below) 
  • 4 tomato, skin peeled and chopped into cubes 
  • 1/2 onion, chopped into cubes 
  • 3 fresh brown mushrooms, chopped into cubes 
  • 1/2 carrot, peeled and sliced 
  • Sour cream, about 2-3 tbsp, to serve (the more sour cream added, the more creamy it gets)
  • Seasoning eg salt and pepper 
*To cook the chickpeas (the non pressure cooker way)
First, soak the chickpeas for around 6 hours in normal temperature water. Boil in hot water for about an hour or more, or until the chickpeas turn soft. 

  1. Season the chicken drumsticks with salt, minced garlic, pepper and a little oyster sauce. 
  2. Heat up about 2tbsp of grapeseed oil (or any cooking oil) in a frying pan. Brown drumsticks (about 5min). Remove from pan and place into an oven-proof casserole dish. 
  3. Using the same heated pan, gently fry minced garlic, chopped onion until fragrant. Stir in carrot, tomato and mushrooms. Cover with lid and leave to brown for about 2-5min. 
  4. Add in chicken stock. Season with ground cumin, ground paprika, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 15min. 
  5. Preheat oven to 180degC. 
  6. Pour the veg and sauce into the oven-proof casserole dish. 
  7. Bake in oven for about 20min or until the drumsticks are thoroughly cooked. 
  8. Serve with sour cream, pasta or rice, or potato dishes. 


With much delight, I am linking this post to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe





7 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    Like this very flavorsome chicken. I can always trust you for cooking something that is both healthy and delicious!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this very flavorsome food and your baby. I can always trust you for cooking something that is both healthy and delicious. Please see more on my by concepts some of formula Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer thank you for sharing - I am always on the look out for a different casserole recipe to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got generally beloved chill trick crane, although When i don't have any reddish colored kidney pinto and black beans with stock options, in addition to When i believed chill trick crane could seems superior down having minced burgers that is anything When i tend not to ordinarily have around my fridge freezer neither of them. Most likely I am able to produce this chickpea ragout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually sometimes obtained plenty of so that you can make quite a few banana plus cinnamon cookies today, just after setting up the following casserole food.
    baby follow

    ReplyDelete
  6. your recipes are always very easy and flavorful i love to chase your all content to cook new dishes temperature And Humidity Controller online in pakistan
    Best Shampoo For Hair Loss Control In Pakistan keep it up

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...